Here's a sampling of some Teaching Table Cooking Classes:
Protein Packed and already prepared: Make Ahead Breakfasts
Do you desire to eat a nutritious filling breakfast every morning but find you don't have the time to prepare it? Are you dishing out $12 for a sub-par deli-made dish you know could be made at home for $2? Are you tiring of the same foods in your breakfast rotation? Inspired by a friend who painstakingly makes eggs and kale every single morning, this class will teach you tips, techniques and recipes for eating a wholesome delicious breakfast that will fuel you all morning long without the daily fuss or expense! You will learn how to prepare batches of breakfast foods for the week with tips for storing, reheating, assembling and eating on the go. Menu items could include:
- mini zucchini Parmesan herb quiches
- overnight stone fruit and almond butter oats
- spicy root vegetable and sausage hash with soft boiled eggs
- amaranth porridge with date jam
- therapeutic kichari (a savory Indian breakfast porridge cooked with Ayurvedic principles)
CSA bounties for a rainy daY
Do you sometimes dread your weekly CSA pick-up because last week's tomatoes and corn are still staring at you from your counter, and kale is rotting in the back of your fridge? Do you arrive from an overzealous farmers market trip loaded down with bags of produce you'll never use? Is your garden overproducing chili peppers? Learn how to utilize what's fresh, in season and abundant from your CSA, garden, or farmer's market and put a little away for a rainy fall or winter day! Learn up to 8 creative ways to use any single seasonal ingredient or choose one of these three options to make the most of a variety of fresh produce:
1. Pickling and preserving
2. Breads, bars and baked goods
3. Soups and stews
conscientious baking substitutions
Part science class, part baking class, you will learn the technicalities of baking and the important functions of key ingredients. You'll apply this knowledge to test some health-supportive and allergen friendly substitutions in traditional recipes for baked goods. In this class:
- experiment with whole grains in place of white flour
- find alternatives for highly processed white sugar
- decorate cakes with naturally colored icings
- add vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds to cakes, cookies, breads, custards and pies
- create vegan & gluten free versions of the classics
You will walk away with a final product you can feel better about consuming and the confidence to try your own substitutions on any baking recipe.
delicious dal for dinner
If you love Indian food but are intimidated by the idea of making it yourself, this class is for you. Perhaps you have a dal recipe in your rotation but want to learn variations or enhance your flavors. This class will teach you the fundamentals of working with legumes, sourcing and utilizing vibrant Indian spices, developing layers of flavor and perfecting a "tadka". And what is dal without rice? You will also learn how to make perfectly fluffy fragrant basmati rice. Menu items could include:
- mung bean dal with curry leaves
- traditional Nepalese dal bhat recipe (red lentil dal with rice)
- chana saag masala (spiced chickpea dal with spinach)
- brown basmati pilaf with peas, cashews and golden raisins
- spiced Indian chai tea
What you get:
- 3-hour private cooking class for up to 6 individuals on a theme/topic of your or recipient's choice (peruse sample Teaching Table classes for ideas).
- Includes phone consultation to plan and tailor class to your interests and needs, ingredients*, recipe handouts for each participant, and meal or food tasting at the end.
Extra individuals (up to 12 total) can be accommodated at $50 per person.
*Purchaser/host will provide pantry staples such as oil, vinegar, salt, pepper. Specialty ingredients may incur an additional charge.
Gift Certificate must be redeemed within one year of purchase.
Classes range from 1 hour to a full day and can serve up to 12 people
Menus can be customized based on your needs and interests
Classes are offered at your home, my home kitchen, schools, or an alternate location
Personalized meal preparation sessions also available
Many class topics are available; above descriptions represent possible options