BAKED SPICED BROWN BASMATI RICE
Yield: serves 8
- 2 cups brown basmati rice, washed
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil
- 3 ½ cups boiling water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 8 cardamom pods
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Preheat conventional oven to 375 degrees
- In a 3-4 inch deep baking dish, add rice and dry roast rice approximately 10 minutes (or until dry and fragrant).
- Stir oil into rice and bake 3-4 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add boiling water, whole spices and salt: stir once; cover baking dish with tightly fitting lid or foil.
- Cook covered, about 40 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit on counter for 5 minutes.
- Fluff gently with a fork.